Thursday, May 20, 2010

Danish Saga Kings? Ja Youbetcha

When I was young, my mother reestablished connections with family in Norway, related to her beloved Grandfather Carl. When I was a freshman in college, a zillion years ago, she went to visit, and some of them have come here as well. I have in all honesty been pretty peripheral in all this, and regret that now. I have been saying for some time I want to take her back to Norway, and still hope we can accomplish that.

Apparently this family has done extensive research into their heritage. Mom was given a copy of some of the final output relating directly to her Grandfather. I don't know what documentation was done.

So last night I started trying to translate the forward to this book. Jay! This is for you! Viking Kings and Archers abound.

"Schytte-family are our oldest known relatives in the Nordic countries. With the help of the family seal, this family traced back to the old Danish saga-kings,
all the way to the last part of the 8th century. The family's oldest members stand out as good archers, and although the seal has changed over time, archery remains in the design of the seal. Their family members who took the doctor degree in the 16th and 17th century, selected the nickname toxotious, (Latin for archery). It is likely that the actual family name Schytte comes from archery.

Right up to the 15th century Taa was used as a nickname in the Schytte-family. Professor Barry Koht believed that it came from club foot, that often walked in the family. Several Danish and Norwegian Viking Kings were of Taa/Schytte family, among them Harold Harfargre.

The image of family vapnet / seal is from "Geschlechterbuch der Familie Schutte" by Albert Schuthe, Harburg-Wilhelmsburg, Germany. "

so this is gonna be interesting. What I do know is that Great Grandpa Carl (Hendriksen) came from an island called Vega in Norway. He spent at least some time fishing with his father. His father, Hendrik Johan Eriksen, drown on a fishing boat. His mother's name was Henrika Peternella Johanna Klaudatter. These are taken directly from the family document. I will post some family sheets as I continue going through it.

2 comments:

  1. How cool it is to read all of this interesting family history! Great job, I for one am looking forward to many more great posts. - Minda

    ReplyDelete
  2. omfg im from vega to XD!! and i live there ! and i was just checking out my ancestors name and suddently i see ur ancestors are from here and the man u say carl is also in my ancestor book thingy XD !!

    ReplyDelete