Sunday, May 16, 2010

Homesteading

So because I didn't get a chance to scan any more of my paper documents in the past few days, and also because I'm kinda excited to have received these documents electronically today, I'm gonna switch gears and post about my moms family. I received the homestead application of my Mother's Paternal Grandmother, Lina Lund, today. She homesteaded with her husband, Olaf, up in Simpson, MT. Simpson is literally 20 miles from the Canadian border. The closest thing to a town really was Havre. I linked that article because I often wonder about their personal stories of those early days. I have heard a few of the town generally during the wild and woolly bootlegging days, and took a fascinating tour called 'Havre beneath the streets'

Olaf and Lina's (gee guess where they are from :)) farm, at least part of it IIRC, is still in the family. I will have to get some pictures to post. They are not the only ones in the family to get their 320 acres though. Lena's brother Ingvald, and my Great Grandpa Marion Campbell (dads side of course), also got their land. Interestingly enough my father said the other day 320 acres is not, was not, nearly enough to make a living up there. There were some tough times. But its amazing land, feels a bit like you are on top of the world. I will post Marion Campbell's and Ingvald Nagelhus' (yup thats right, Nagelhus) applications when I get them in a couple days.

I will also be ordering homestead records from North Dakota. I understand Olaf homesteaded there around 1900 and I'm pretty sure folks in my dads maternal line did the same. Land, land everywhere.

so for those interested here are links to the documents. As you can see there are lots of hoops to jump through.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

No comments:

Post a Comment